Saturday, June 9, 2012

Montage Part One (Or, Yes, but can you dance to it?)

Especially in the early days of this adventure, the sustained hyper-awareness of every single passing moment struck me.  On TV or in movies, there's always a moment to fade to black, or cue to a musical montage.  Those storytelling devices give both audiences and the characters in a story a moment to catch their breath off screen in the cool, calming ether.  But, in real life, the moments just keep happening, and happening and happening some more.

And yet, now that the immediate drama is mellowing a bit, and there's a pregnant pause while things return to almost normal for a spell, it seems that those hyper-real moments from a few weeks ago are magically turning into a montage in my minds eye.  There are a string of scenes and film clips that are so vivid I can almost touch them.  Here are the songs that come up with those scenes:  

She's Like a Rainbow
(The Rolling Stones)

If Leftee and Rightee had their own chorus to sing, it would be: "oh, la, la, oh, la, la-la-la, oh, la, la, oh, la-la-la."  

(in spite of what you may see in the you tube link below, I don't recall any of the last month in Japanimation).



The First Days of Spring
(Noah and the Whale)

It's the first day of spring, and my life is starting over again...

Like a cut down tree, I will rise again.  And I'll be bigger, and stronger than ever before...



Hold On
(The Alabama Shakes)

Bless my heart.  Bless my mind.  I got so much to do, I ain't got much time.  Well must be somebody, up above sayin' c'mon girl, you got to get on up...



Float On
(Bluegrass Modest Mouse Cover)

The version on my iphone is actually by Iron Horse, but this is the closest approximation I could find on You Tube.  The Modest Mouse original was great, but there's something about the bluegrass re-dux that feels to hit the nail more directly on the head.

Even if things get heavy, we'll all float on again...



Circus 
(Josh Ritter - Tom Petty Cover) 

Josh Ritter is one of my favorites.  Though he's oddly not been one of the go-to's the last few weeks, this cover that he did of Petty's Circus has been pulled up on You Tube a few times for long, repeating plays.

Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks.  Some doors are open, some roads are blocked...




The World Spins Madly On
(The Weepies)

I watch the stars from my window sill, the whole world is moving and I'm standing still...


Just a Closer Walk With Thee
(The Avett Brothers)

After I'd found the lump, but before we knew what it was, Stacy Bare and I had a man-date to see the Avett Brothers in suburban VA.  Good God, those men make me tingly.  They played this song that night, and while I'm not normally one for old church music, these two may just make a believer of me.

Through this world of toils and snares, if I falter Lord, who cares? 



Lost in My Mind
(The Head and the Heart)

Put your dreams away for now, I won't see 'em for some time, I am lost in my mind, I get lost in my mind...



Elouise
(The Lumineers)

If you down on your luck, don't get down on yourself it won't do you no good.  I've been there before, fought a thousand wars - but I'm still fighting for you...


Atlantic City
(The Boss)

Everything dies baby that's a fact, maybe everything that dies someday comes back...put your make up on, put your hair up pretty and meet me tonight in Atlantic City


No comments:

Post a Comment